How to upgrade to Spectrum 12 on Linux or Unix
UPDATED: October 23, 2017
- Before upgrading, be sure to read the release notes for the new version. The release notes contain important compatibility information, supported upgrade paths, and module-specific data backup recommendations.
- Apply all the latest updates available for your operating system, especially those that resolve issues with Java.
This procedure is for upgrading a single Spectrum™ Technology Platform server. Follow this procedure when upgrading a standard installation or when upgrading a node in a cluster.
If you use remote servers, you must upgrade the remote servers and start them before upgrading the main server. If you upgrade the main server and start it before upgrading and starting the remote servers, you will need to recreate the remote server connections in Management console after upgrading.Note: It will take about one hour to upgrade an average installation to Spectrum™ Technology Platform 12.0. If your installation has a large number of flows or a long transaction history, your upgrade process could take four to six hours.
- Download the updated version of Spectrum Technology Platform using the download instructions contained in the release announcement email.
- Unzip the downloaded installer to a temporary folder on the server you want to upgrade.
- Back up the server. For instructions on creating a backup, see the Administration Guide.
Important: We recommend that you create a backup before upgrading so that you can recover your flows, security settings, and other settings, if an error occurs during the upgrade process.
- Back up module-specific data for any of these modules if you have them installed.
Module Items to Back Up Advanced Matching Module, Data Normalization Module, and Universal Name Module Back up the contents of these subfolders located in SpectrumLocation/server/modules:
Data Hub Module Open the Relationship Analysis Client and click Manage. Select the model you want to back up then click Backup.
In addition to backing up your models, back up these two property files:
Location Intelligence Module Back up your named resources, data, and configuration files.
- In Enterprise Designer, go to View > Execution History. If the combined number of records on theJobs and Process Flows tabs is more than 10,000, we recommend that you purge and archive the oldest records before upgrading. This will significantly reduce the amount of time it will take to upgrade. For example, if you have 6,000 records in your job history and 11,000 records in your process flow history, you would have a total of 17,000 records and we would recommend that you purge the oldest 7,000 records to get the total down to 10,000. If you have fewer than 10,000 records in total on theJobs and Process Flows tabs, you can skip this step.
If you are upgrading from 9.0 SP3 or 10.0 SP1, delete old history records manually using Management Console.
If you are upgrading from version 11.0, or 11.0 SP1, follow the procedure below to delete old history records. This process is faster than manually deleting records in Management Console, but is only available on versions 11.0 and 11.0 SP1.
- Open a web browser and go to http://server:port/jmx-console
server is the IP address or hostname of your Spectrum™ Technology Platform server.
port is the HTTP port used by Spectrum™ Technology Platform. The default is 8080.
- Log in using the admin account.
- Under Domain: com.pb.spectrum.platform.config, click com.pb.spectrum.platform.config:manager=ArchiveTransactionManager.
- (Optional) If you want to save an archive of the history that you are going to purge, specify the path where you want to save the archive in the ArchiveDirectory field, then click set. Then, set ArchiveEnabled to true and click set.
- In the ArchiveRetain field, specify how many days of records you want to keep in the history then click set. For example, if you enter 45 then history records that are 45 days old or newer would be retained, and records 46 days old and older would be purged. To determine how many days of records you can retain, look at the job and process flow history in Enterprise Designer and identify the point in time where the number of records exceeds 10,000.
- In the PurgeOperation field, leave the value set to ALL.
- To run the purge, click Invoke.
You have purged flow and execution history so that you now have a smaller configuration database to upgrade. This will speed up the upgrade process.
- Open a web browser and go to http://server:port/jmx-console
- Source the <SpectrumLocation>/server/bin/setup script.
- Run the <SpectrumLocation>/server/bin/server.stop script to stop the Spectrum™ Technology Platform server.
- Wait for the server to finish the shutdown process before proceeding.
Important: If you have the Data Hub Module installed, make sure that all models shut down properly. Models that do not shut down properly will not open successfully after upgrading.
- If you have the Address Now Module installed, stop the Address Now server by executing the<SpectrumLocation>/server/bin/stop_adn_server.sh script.
- If you have the Global Sentry Module installed, shut down the Global Sentry database server by executing the <SpectrumLocation>/server/GlobalSentryDatabase/bin/globalsentrydb.stopscript.
- Run the Spectrum™ Technology Platform installer to upgrade your system.
- Apply all the updates for the platform and any modules you have installed. For a listing of updates, see the Update Summary on the Pitney Bowes support website.
Some modules have post-upgrade steps you need to perform.
|Data Hub Module||Open this file in a text editor:server/modules/hub/neo4j.properties and set the property allow_store_upgrade property totrue. The purpose of this property is to protect against unintentional and irreversible store upgrades. Setting this property to "true" indicates that you understand the ramifications of proceeding with an upgrade and have taken the necessary precautions before proceeding.
Restart the Spectrum™ Technology Platform server. The server will upgrade each model. Examine the file server/app/repository/logs/wrapper.log for errors or warning messages. Once all models have been upgraded, go back to the hub.properties file and comment out the allow_store_upgradeproperty.
Product affected: Spectrum™ Technology Platform
Versions: 8 SP3, 9 SP3, 10 SP1, 11 SP1, 12.0
- No Downloads