|Easy Tips for your Browser window|
Tip #1: Setting the default column display
|For this month I thought it would be useful to compile a few different tips for the Browser window.|
Is there a way I can only show certain columns in a browser every time I browse my table?
If you are constantly removing unneeded columns from the display of the Browser window then this tip will be a time saver. It is possible to control which columns will display and the order they will be displayed in, as a default.
What this means, is that by using this setting, you will get the same columns each time a new Browser window is opened.
Note that this capability is not making a permanent change to the structure of your table. The columns are hidden from view in the Browser window they are not permanently removed from the table.
Need to change it back? Go into this dialog box, change the columns as desired and save the default again.
The above tip requires version 8.5 or later of MapInfo Pro.
How does it work? Behind the scenes the Browser display settings are stored in the TAB file.
Tip 2: Triple click in a cell to select the whole contents!
Do you edit data in a Browser window? If yes, did you know that...
The above tip requires MapInfo Pro v11.0 or later.
- One click positions the mouse cursor in the cell you are clicking in.
- Two clicks selects the whole word you are clicking on.
- And three clicks selects the contents of the entire cell!
Tip 3: Short-cut to bring up a new Browser Window
If you are using a 32-bit version of MapInfo Pro, press F2 to bring up a new Browser window.
If you are using a 64-bit version of MapInfo Pro, press F4 to bring up a new Browser window.
Tip 4: Use F8 to change the Text style of your Browser window
The F8 key is the shortcut to bring up the Text Style dialog box. When you are working with a Browser window, this has the effect of changing the text style of the Browser. This works in both the 32-bit and 64 bit versions of MapInfo Pro.
MORE articles on the Browser window
- Using the Browser Filtering capability (requires MI Pro v11.5 or later). You can find more about the same in related article on community by keywords "Introducing the Browser Filtering Capability".
The original article was written for MapInfo Pro v11.5. The capabilities are all present in the 64 bit version of MapInfo Pro. Look in the Table tab.
- Setting a different background color for the Browser window: You can find more about the same in related article on community by keywords "Change the background colour of your Browser window".
- Sorting on multiple columns in the Browser window. You can find more about the same in related article on community by keywords "Sort across multiple columns in a Browser window".
Have you tried the 64 bit version yet?
A free trial of MapInfo Pro (in both the English 32 and 64-bit versions) is available from our Web site. Visit our Web site here.
Article by Tom Probert, Editor of "The MapInfo Professional" journal
When not writing articles for "The MapInfo Professional", Tom enjoys talking to MapInfo Professional users at conferences and events. When not working he likes to see movies with car chases, explosions and kung-fu fighting.