- Connect the Communication Device to your internet source.
- Plug the power adapter into the Communication Device and into an electrical outlet. The LED light on the left is lit yellow when it is on.
- After 45 seconds, the right LED light will blink orange.
- Connect the meter to the Communication Device with the USB Cable.
- Connect the meter to a power outlet. When power is applied, the meter will display its startup screens and you will hear the meter’s printer initialize.
- Approximately 10 seconds after the meter completes its startup routine, it displays the message Meter connected to internet - Press Enter.
- The LED on the right changes from blinking orange to blinking green.
- Press Enter/Yes on the meter. The device is now ready for use.
This section is required only if your network requires special settings, such as static IP addresses or proxy server IDs. These settings will need to be added to the Communication Device. Consult your IT specialist to determine if this is necessary. Follow instructions exactly in the sequence shown below.
If you need to set up the Communication Device to use WiFi, see How to install the DM50/DM55 and DM60 with a Communication Device connected through WiFi, or view the Pitney Bowes Communication Device Installation Guide.
- Disconnect power from the meter.
- Be sure that the Communication Device is:
- Connected to an active internet port.
- Plugged into a power outlet.
- The LEDs on the right are blinking in an orange and/or green pattern.
- On a computer that is connected to the same network or router as the Communication Device, download the setup software to your computer:
- Save the pbSmartLAN software to your computer, then open and run it.
- Select Setup for Network Cable Connection.
- Select Search.
- Select the Communication Device from the list.
- If prompted for a password enter MnDqr7
- Select Next.
- Select assign IP address.
- Fill the following fields:
- IP address
- Subnet mask
- Default gateway
- Primary DNS address
- Select Next.
- Verify the information and select Submit.
- Unplug power and the network cable from the Communication Device.
- Plug in only the power to the Communication Device.
- The Ethernet port will turn yellow and stay lit for 45 seconds, then it will turn yellow and green.
- Plug the network cable into the Communication Device.
- It will then change to yellow and green and orange will be alternate flashing, then after a short time it will go to yellow and orange flashing.
- Plug the USB cable from the meter into Communication Device.
- The Ethernet port will turn to yellow and green.
If the LEDs do not change to the correct color at any time, see How to troubleshoot the Communication Device on the DM50/DM55 and DM60.
UPDATED: 19 July 2019